Sunday, January 3, 2010

Enlightenment Effect.

In psychology, the enlightment effect refers to the idea that public knowledge about psychological research can change the world in a positive way.  For example, if people were more aware of bystander non intervention (bystander effect), we would expect to see an increase in help being offered in an emergency situation, even when a group is present. 

My goal with this journal is to give readers a general look into psychological theories that I find beneficial and interesting as I work towards my degree. This will also be combined with thoughts and opinions on certain topics.  Please read the disclaimer and note that any and all content here is not to be taken as a replacement for professional help.

There are some ideas that I may form an opinion or hypothesis about, and have to edit later as new information comes along.  This is the nature of education.  It is also the nature of science.  On my first day of class, I was informed that most of what I learn will probably be irrelivant in several years, as better theories are formed through careful experimentation.  The trick is to keep an open mind.

There are also several aspects of the world that fall outside the limits of science.  Whereas we have not yet designed sound studies to prove or disprove the existence of God, a soul, ESP, or any other supernatural phenomenon, we can design correlational studies to see if there is any association between belief in certain supernatual phenomenon and traits.

There are also a lot of experiments that have been done that will need to be improved on throughout the years, as better equipment and research designs become available.  As of right now, I am not properly trained for sound experimental design, thus, many of the topics I will discuss will be backed up by research already done by others.  Any opinions or hypotheses I may form are a long way from being tested by me, but I will do my best to keep a plausible scientific explanation in mind, include research that may serve to both support and refute my opinion, and be prepared to be proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment